The publication was released in the wake of the September 2013 UN Special Event on the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). At this meeting, states agreed to accelerate current MDG efforts and to launch next year international negotiations leading to the adoption of a new development framework.
Global Development Goals offers analysis and recommendations in both these areas. It considers the context in which the MDGs were developed, assesses progress to date, offers views on achieving the 2015 targets, and provides insights into the creation of the post-2015 agenda. Particular emphasis is placed on those factors that have yielded the greatest advances, and the areas most in need of urgent attention.
The publication features contributions by over 50 officials and experts from around the world, including:
- Ban Ki-moon, UN Secretary-General
- Irina Bokova, Director-General, UNESCO
- Helen Clark, Administrator, UN Development Programme
- Ertharin Cousin, Executive Director, UN World Food Programme
- José María Figueres, former President of Costa Rica
- Justine Greening, UK Secretary of State for International Development
- Richard Jolly, Institute of Development Studies
- Georg Kell, Executive Director, UN Global Compact
- Mark Malloch Brown, former UN Deputy Secretary-General
- Amina J. Mohammed, UN Special Advisor on Post-2015
- Babatunde Osotimehin, Executive Director, UN Population Fund
- Lakshmi Puri, Deputy Director, UN Women
- Jeffrey Sachs, Director, Sustainable Development Solutions Network
- Wu Hongbo, UN Under-Secretary-General for Economic & Social Affairs
Aimed at policy-makers, practitioners and interested observers, UNA-UK hopes that the publication will encourage renewed commitment to the existing Goals, inspire creativity in achieving them and generate debate on the main issues that will shape the course of the next decade of international development.
NB. UNA-UK members will receive a printed copy of the publication. If you are not a member of UNA-UK, click here to join.
More on Climate and development
20 March 2017
Insights on the rising trend of 'post-truth politics' from Emma Briant, Owen Jones, George Marshall, Michael Møller, Simon Moss, Robert Worcester and Isabelle Younane
16 September 2016
UNA-UK has released a major report on taking forward the new climate framework agreed by UN member states in Paris last year.