The All‐Party Parliamentary Group on the United Nations (UN APPG) is a cross‐party group supporting the aims and ideals of the United Nations. Our primary objective is to raise awareness among MPs and Peers – about the UN; about its myriad contributions across the areas of peace and security, development and human rights; about the scope of international law and its relevance to the UK; and, crucially, about the applicability of the UN to the people who make up the British electorate.
In partnership with UN APPG Officers, UNA-UK sets out the strategic plan for the Group for each parliamentary session and reports back on the activity of the Group to its members.
The UN APPG meets six to eight times a year to provide a platform for high‐level international speakers. Recent speakers have included:
- Jan Eliasson, UN Deputy Secretary-General;
- Sir Nigel Rodley, Member, UN Human Rights Committee;
- Gareth Evans, Co-Chair, Global Centre for R2P and former Australian Foreign Minister;
- Adama Dieng, UN Special Advisor for Genocide Prevention;
- Sir Mark Lyall Grant, UK Permanent Representative to the UN;
- Dr Edward Luck, former Special Adviser to the UN Secretary-General on the Responsibility to Protect;
- Ambassador Lakhdar Brahimi, former Foreign Minister of Algeria, UN envoy and member of The Elders; and
- Margot Wallström, former Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General on Sexual Violence in Conflict.
UNA-UK prepares a regular newsletter for members of the UN APPG, which aims to bring to the attention of members of both Houses and their staff comment and debates of interest to all those who follow UN developments. Non-parliamentarians are also welcome to sign up to receive this newsletter.
The newsletter also includes write-ups of meetings and briefings prepared by UNA-UK.
Prepared by the UNA-UK for members of the UN APPG, aims to bring to the attention of members of both Houses and their staff comment and debates of interest to all those who follow UN developments.
Its objective is to encourage active participation in shaping UN policy responses across the whole range of the organisation's activities.
The United Nations Association of the UK (UNA‐UK) acts as the secretariat for the UN APPG. UNA-UK is an independent charity that provides information and analysis on the work of the UN.
APPG Coordinator: Ben Donaldson (email@example.com, 020 7766 3448)