Finance & Governance Committee Member (voluntary)
UNA-UK is the only UK charity devoted to making a case for the United Nations to British policy-makers and the public. Nationally, we campaign for UK support for UN principles and programmes – recent successes include securing more British troops for UN peace operations and ensuring that children learn about the UN at school. Internationally, we focus on building a more effective, transparent and inclusive UN. Our groundbreaking 1 for 7 Billion campaign transformed the way in which the UN selects its leader for the first time in 70 years. Our vision is of a safer, fairer and more sustainable world, which we pursue through the promotion of an effective United Nations. We work towards this goal by:
- explaining why the UN matters to key audiences in the UK and beyond
- influencing decision-makers and opinion-shapers in support of UN ideals
- generating a critical mass of public support for, and engagement with, the UN
- working with educators and young people to foster a new generation of UN advocates
- stimulating ideas and action on how the UN can operate more effectively and sustainably
The organisation is at an exciting stage as we embark on two campaigns – on UK foreign policy and on restoring faith in global governance.
We are a small but high-profile charitable company (no. 1146016) that is completely independent from the UN and UK government. We are also part of a Limited Liability Partnership that owns the sub-lease on our premises.
COMMITTEE MEMBER RECRUITMENT
This is a voluntary (unremunerated) position. This position is ideally suited to someone with experience in:
- Charity finances, Legal or Fundraising experience
- Well-developed networks that will help the organisation reach wider audiences
- A sound understanding of governance
- International, UN and/or NGO experience
- Management skills to ensure effective performance on the Committee
The Committee member’s role is to help promote and strengthen the organisation’s control procedures including risk management to ensure it fulfils its governance and fiduciary duties and help maximise the impact of UNA-UK activities. The Committee member will also contribute to the strategic direction of the charity.
The Terms of Reference provides more information on the role of the Committee. The initial term will be three years, with the possibility of reappointment for up to one further term of three years.
The Committee member may also be required to work with the UNA-UK's small but dynamic team of eight employees, helping them achieve the aims of the organisation.
To apply for the post please email your CV together with a covering letter to Angie Pankhania, firstname.lastname@example.org
We regret that due to the volume of applications received only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.