The United Nations Matters - Teaching Pack
'The United Nations Matters' is a teaching resource that aims to develop students’ awareness and understanding of the United Nations (UN) system and the global issues it tackles. It was produced with generous funding from the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office.
The resource encompasses five lessons that can either be run as a full scheme of work or used independently. Each lesson includes teacher’s notes, lesson plans and student worksheets. Lessons 1–4 are 60-minute lessons, while lesson 5, which features a simulation of the UN Security Council, comprises one 60-minute preparatory lesson and a 60- or 120-minute simulation.
The printed version includes a CD ROM (see inside back cover) with all the components of the pack: lesson plans, student worksheets and additional supporting resources, including: materials for the Security Council simulation, a glossary, and official and student-friendly versions of the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights and Convention on the Rights of the Child.
Created to support Key Stage 3 and 4 Citizenship (England) and Education for Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship (Wales), the pack It is also relevant to Learning for Life and Work (Northern Ireland), One Planet and Sustainable Development (Scotland), as well as Geography; History; Local and Global Citizens; Personal, Social, Health and Economic Education; Politics; and Religious and Moral Education. The pack supports the ‘Global Dimension’ in all parts of the UK.
To request your free printed copy, please get in touch with Natalie Saad on firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7766 3454.
You can also download all the materials below.
- Teacher materials: handbook, timed lesson plans and glossary
- Lesson 1 – The UN: working for us all: 3 x student worksheets, 1 x handout
- Lesson 2 – The UN: keeping the peace: 5 x student worksheets
- Lesson 3 – The UN: fighting poverty: 4 x student worksheets, 1 x handout
- Lesson 4 – The UN: promoting human rights: 4 x student worksheets, 4 x handouts
- Lesson 5 – Diplomacy in action: Model United Nations: 2 x worksheets, 1 x handout, 2 x classroom materials