Sign up to our newsletter to stay in touch
UNA-UK's 2012 highlights
Season's greetings from everyone at UNA-UK!
2012 has been a particularly challenging year for the United Nations, with concerted international action needed on a host of issues - from Syria to climate change - at a time when many governments are focussed on domestic and economic concerns.
Throughout the year, UNA-UK worked hard to keep pressing global challenges, and multilateral solutions, firmly on the agenda. We have sought to take action on urgent issues, highlight those that are not receiving the attention they deserve, and keep a watchful eye on the wider trends that are shaping our world.
For us, 2012 has been a year of action, with major events, fresh publications and a brand new website. We launched Generation UN, a new initiative for 13-18-year-olds and a policy programme on the 'responsibility to protect'. Our transition to charitable status is complete and we are undertaking more, and better, campaigning work. Below, you will find our 2012 UNA-UK highlights and our policy 'picks' of the year.
In December 2012, our Chairman, Sir Jeremy Greenstock, has appealed to all those who believe in the universal principles of the UN to donate generously to UNA-UK, so that we can continue our work for a safer, fairer and more sustainable world.
We hope you had a wonderful festive period and best wishes for 2013!
Some of our proudest 2012 achievements...
UNA-UK's policy and campaign picks of 2012
- CAMPAIGN: UNA-UK launches its Human Rights Day 2012 action: 'Thank the UN's human rights champions'
- EVIDENCE: UNA-UK submits evidence to the BASIC Trident Commission
- ADVOCACY: UNA-UK publishes an 'open letter' to Syria envoy Lakhdar Brahimi
- CAMPAIGN: UNA-UK continues its campaign for a strong Arms Trade Treaty
- ADVOCACY: UNA-UK submits a report to the Joint Committee on Human Rights on folllow-up to the UK's UPR
- CAMPAIGN: UNA-UK undertakes a host of activities to promote the Olympic Truce
- LOBBYING: UNA-UK calls for a Paralympic Games human rights legacy
- CAMPAIGN: UNA-UK releases a youth campaigning pack in partnership with three UN agencies
- ADVOCACY: UNA-UK generates recommendations on a nuclear-free Middle East
- CAMPAIGN: UNA-UK launches a UN Day petition: show your support for a strong, credible, effective United Nations
- A Safer World
- Food security
- Nuclear disarmament and non proliferation
- The ‘Responsibility to Protect’
- International climate architecture
- Safeguarding international laws and norms
- UN peacekeeping, peacebuilding and conflict prevention
- Emerging security issues and challenges
- Millennium Development Goals: 2015 and beyond
- Securing human rights for all
- A Fairer World
- A Sustainable World